These delicious muffins are packed with fiber and flavor while being low in sugar. They make a great breakfast or a quick snack. Make an extra batch and freeze them for busy mornings.
1 cup wheat bran (you can buy this in bulk at Natural Grocers for really cheap)
1 cup low-fat buttermilk
1/3 cup canola oil
1 large egg
1/4 cup honey
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 tsp almond extract (or more vanilla, but the almond brings out the cherry flavor)
3/4 cup whole wheat flour
1/2 cup all purpose flour (or more wheat flour)
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1 cup fresh cherries, pitted and chopped into quarters (can use frozen, but thaw and drain first)
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Line a muffin tin with baking cups.
- Stir the wheat bran into the buttermilk and let soak while you prepare the rest of the ingredients.
- In a large bowl whisk together flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
- Add egg, honey and extract to the buttermilk/bran mixture. Pour into the bowl with the dry ingredients and stir to combine.
- Fold in fresh cherries.
- Divide batter into the muffin cups. I like to use an ice cream scoop for this.
- Bake for 15 minutes or until golden brown.
Yield: 1 dozen